Saturday, January 7, 2012

Update time!




I know that you are all on pins and needles!

Well, when I last checked in with this blog thingie, I was having anxiety

through the roof about all of the crazy stuff that was going on in my life. I'm pleased to announce that Sally the Car made it through graduation and is still rolling forward. She had her oil changed today. Dad seems to think that there is not as much wrong

with her as I seem to think, and I trust his judgement, which has given me a little bit of confidence.

Life has slowed down in the last week or two. Largely because I finished school and my internship and the only thing troubling me now is my current job and what to do in terms of future jobs. That and writing my Chinese New Years resolutions- which are going to be Chinese New Years resolutions because I didn't prepare for them in time for American New Year (and yes, "stop procrastinating" will be included on my list).

In other news:



I have a Masters Degree in Social Work!!!!

Can you believe it? Me!? A master?! To all those people who thought I'd never graduate: ha ha!!

My mommy and daddy needed to see this to believe it, so they flew in for my graduation


It was a lovely graduation ceremony; very short and sweet. There were only 16 of us graduating, and it was nice. It felt very personal and intimate.



The advice that the speaker gave to us was something along the lines of: "When the going gets hard, and you don't feel like you are making a difference, think back and remember what motivated you to pursue social work in the first place." I thought that was particularly poignant. I was motivated to pursue social work while working at a summer camp in New York in 2004. It was an amazing experience, and I learned a great deal about the suffering and sadness that exists in the world and in our own country.

I learned a lot about people, and how I want to make changes that will make this world a better place, and a safer place for my children to grow up. Ultimately, I went into social work because of my belief that all children deserve happiness, and it is the children who suffer the most when the world has problems.

Mostly, I went into social work because I wanted to help people. And sometimes we get caught in the day-to-day actions that don't really seem to make that much of a difference. I will try to remember all of the reasons I did this when the going gets tough.

Now that I have a little bit more breathing room, I want to figure out what I want this blog to become. It has always just been my little space to write my thoughts, but I have a hard time keeping up with it. I wonder if I would be better at just writing in a journal the old fashioned way. What I really want is for my writing to have purpose and meaning, but what should the purpose be? I'm feeling compelled to take this blog in a new direction, but I am lacking the compass to help me decide which direction is best. Thoughts?

3 comments:

JacksGram said...

Hi darlin Lizzy! I love your blog and I'm glad you are keeping it going! Have I told you recently how proud I am of you and how much I love you?

Lamb said...

Oh Laura... Everytime I read your blog, I think to myself... I should really do something with my life, then I roll over and have another doughnut or something, but you seriously are amazing. I can't think of a better field for you to be in. I obviously, have no advice for you in the whole which direction thing, but you seem to have a pretty good built-in compass that never leads you astray... I would trust that. Congrats and I don't think you will ever stop amazing me with your drive and intelligence!

Lori said...

I can't believe I lost track of your blog. Make this blog about you. You are hilarious, interesting, and about to embark on a crazy career. We all need the daily update! Make it happen, woman!